If you’re looking to take a different approach to Christmas wrapping, why not try making your own DIY gift wrap? I really like the look of brown butcher paper and twine, so I decided to go with that look and put my own spin on this rustic gift wrap. I had a lot of fun personalizing the wrapping paper and decorating it, and I especially loved how affordable this project was!
- Butcher/craft paper (brown and white): I bought these online at Amazon but also found them at the Dollar Store and the dollar section at Target.
- Paint markers or Sharpies
- Twine: I bought brown twine at the Dollar Store and the red and red and white striped twine at Target’s dollar section.
DIY gift wrap
- Choose your designs, such as repeated words, symbols, dots, lines, and swirls. Even if you don’t have the best handwriting or if you have no artistic ability, I promise the repeated images/words look very cool when it’s all wrapped.
- You can play around with different sizes or see how mine turned out: With smaller wording, you can really read the text well, though it takes longer. The taller text makes a grand statement, and I like the use of blank space with larger words.
- Measure the size of paper you will need per your present and cut the right size.
- I chose to write on my paper at an angle, but you can feel free to play around with this.
- Start writing or drawing! Have fun with it – don’t worry about making it look perfect.
- When you’re finished, adorn your adorable gifts with twine, bows, ribbon, etc. I finished mine off with homemade gift tags stamped with the recipients’ names or initials, which will double as little ornaments.
My gift wrap designs:
Think of your own ideas for designs, and you can personalize it to fit who the gift is going to. I’ve also done this for a baby shower gift and wrote the words “I’ll love you forever I’ll like you for always as long as you’re living my baby you’ll be” and tied a small stuffed animal with a big ribbon.
Here were some of my choices for last year’s presents:
- Christmas trees
- Ho ho ho Merry Christmas
- Lyrics to Oh, Holy Night
- Walking in a winter wonderland
- Buzz your girlfriend…woof!
- Ginny bells (a play on Jingle Bells for my daughter’s name)
- I believe
- I like to smile, smiling’s my favorite!