As much as I dislike clichés, I have to join the rest of the world in probably the biggest New Years’ cliché that exists – I resolve to lose my (baby) weight and get healthy. How very original, I know.
Since I was a kid, my favorite food has always been cereal; I’m a huge breakfast person and also like my desserts, so I found a way to combine my love for breakfast and indulgences while aligning with my getting healthy and back on track goals.
Since I’m quite the cereal connoisseur, it means a lot for me to say I found my new favorite cereal of the moment – a healthy cereal that’s not too sweet, definitely not bland, and doesn’t taste like some of the other healthy cereal out there aka cardboard. I used Great Grains®Raisins, Dates, & Pecans cereal in this oh-so-delicious recipe: an open face crunchy French toast dish. I’m not exaggerating when I say not only is this my favorite cereal to eat on its own, but this recipe is TO. DIE. FOR.
Healthy open face crunchy French toast
I eat it for breakfast, snack, dessert, or even dinner, because we all know there’s nothing better than breakfast for dinner. This is a delicious, healthy way to start or end your day and is achievable in 10 minutes or less. It’s so scrumptious you’ll have no idea you’re eating healthy.
- Whole grain bread
- Milk (I use unsweetened almond milk)
- Great Grains®Raisins, Dates, & Pecans cereal
- Yogurt (I use dairy-free coconut)
- Sliced fruit
- Coconut oil (or other grease for pan)
- 100% real maple syrup (optional)
What I love about this recipe is that you don’t need measurements. As a general rule, you’ll need one egg per piece of bread.
- Scramble an egg in a shallow bowl or dish.
- Add a dash of salt and cinnamon.
- Add a splash of milk.
- Let bread soak in mixture; be sure to flip so both sides are wet.
- Heat greased pan on medium/high heat (I use coconut oil). Once pan is hot, add bread to it. Let it brown up on one side before flipping. It should be golden brown and toasty on both sides.
- Mix together yogurt and cereal. Spread on French toast and add sliced fruit for garnish.
- Optional: Top it off with real maple syrup or whipped cream.
I sincerely hope you try this and let me know what you think. Be sure to check out hundreds of online coupons for savings, not only on Great Grains cereal, but some other highlights include discounts on diapers, razor refills (why are these so expensive?!), Laughing Cow cheese (yummmm love this on toast), Aquaphor, L’oreal and Maybelline makeup, Macy’s 20% off (ends 1/2), Starbucks hot cocoa, Cetaphil, Mucinex, and SO much more.