*Post contains affiliate links.*
What’s on your gift wish list?
Actually, what’s on your kids’ wish list?
Or better yet, what do you wish was on your kids’ wish list? Do your lists seem to match? Do they impulsively want every toy that comes on a commercial? Do you impulsively buy all the bright and fun-looking items in the toy aisle when you’re out shopping?
We’ve all been there, but how many toys do kids actually need and use? Isn’t there a point where the toys become excess and even overwhelming, where the kids don’t even appreciate the items that they have?
No-Toy Gift Guide
When it comes to your kids, chances are you have enough toys to last a lifetime. The last thing you want to buy your children or receive as gifts is more
junk toys to overflow your bins, am I right?
We like to keep toys minimal anyway, so I’m sharing a list of the best gifts that do not include conventional toys, aka “stuff.”
– Consider this list when it comes time for the holiday, birthdays, or just because presents, and be sure to include a receipt for easy returns just in case.
– I also suggest taking a serious audit of your children’s toys and making some important decisions – what are the ‘must have’ items?
– Are there items with missing pieces or defective parts? Toss them.
– Are there toys that have been once loved but just kind of sit there? Donate or sell them.
– Do this periodically and keep things organized with bins, grouping like-items together.
– Get your kiddos involved in the clean up process and teach them to sort the right toys in the right bins – it will not only start teaching the idea of chores and helping out around the house but will help them practice their sorting skills.
I’m including a list of general gift ideas as well as gifts for boys and girls that work well for a variety of age groups broken into these categories:
- Adventure and explorer
- Arts & crafts
- Practical & fun
What gifts do you enjoy buying?
If you have kids, what kind of gifts do you wish you would get for them? Let me know in the comments below!
Adventure and Explorer Gifts
A perfect getaway for babies, toddlers, and kids alike, teepees make great play spaces and reading nooks.
Science lab kit
Walkie talkies & phone
Arts & Crafts Gifts
Easel and chalkboard
Stickers are great…well, kind of. How could they be better for kids and parents? Get the reusable kind, of course!
Gifts of Experience
Sign up for a community class (music, dance, gym, reading, travel)
Practical & fun
Non-toxic, colorless makeup anyone?!
Happy shopping! Be sure to Pin and share for future reference.
You might also like: Holiday Gift Guide for Her, 2 Ingredient Play Dough, and In Defense of Toddler Tantrums.